Thursday, October 25, 2012

My heartbeat

As many of you know missions is my heartbeat.  I have gone on two trips to South America, and now God is giving me an opportunity to go to Mexico for Christmas this year.  I am so excited.   Every day just shows me more and more how much my desire is to be in South America.  Right now I'm in the waiting stage.  I kind of feel like how the disciples may have felt when Christ told them to wait in Jerusalem.  This is my "Be still and know I am God" time.  I'm just rather horrible at being still.  I have been able to attend two days of MBBC's mission conference.  I cannot begin to tell you the blessing it has been.  I really feel for those who don't take anything from chapel, and I remember the days when it was commonplace to me as well, but I guess it would be kind of like being in a place where you are given more water than you can possibly drink.  You never thirst for it until you are removed from the abundance.

I also just read Call of a Coward by Marcia Motson.  It was a great narrative of seeing God work in one woman's life for short term missions with a long term impact.  When I first read the summary of it, I wanted to read it because it sounded like this woman was a little begrudging of her husband's call to ministry, but this was not the case at all.  She was ready and willing though at times fearful.  I think this is something many people struggle with when they know what they are supposed to do with their lives.  It also discusses when they returned how her heart was still in Guatemala (a little like the continent of South America has taken mine).  She wasn't sure how she would get back, just that it was her desire.  She traced God's hand through her life, through different circumstances to take her back again in different roles.  This book was an honest narrative of the joys and hardships, of the loves and losses, of the encouragement and discouragement of the field.  I'm very glad to have read it.  And i recommend it to anyone with any heart for missions.

I received a copy of this book through the BookSneeze program.  I was not required to write a positive review.

No comments: